Maisonneuve market hours
« To give Montrealers access to local produce in their public markets that relate to their values »
Maisonneuve Market is located in the Hochelaga-Maisonneuve district, in a sector where imposing buildings constructed at the beginning of the 20th century are reminiscent of the opulent history of the city of Maisonneuve which was annexed to Montreal in 1918.
At the time of its construction, the market shared grounds with a park developed for dog racing, complete with a platform, track and buildings which were bordered by the railway tracks on the north and east sides. The building and its development are registered as an “exercise in symmetry” with Morgan Boulevard. A roundabout with a sculpture of Alfred Laliberté, called “The Farmer” at its center, signifies the importance given to this building.
In the beginning, the market welcomed nearly three thousand farmers a year, making it one of the most important markets in Montreal. It included grocers as well as numerous butchers and fishmongers, all equipped with refrigerators, a first for the Maisonneuve Market.
In 1932, concrete passageways were built to allow vendors to set-up outside. The dog racing track disappeared and William-David Avenue was extended. Ovila-Pelletier Park was created and a portion of the old race track was added to make the market bigger.
At that time, Maisonneuve Market was also an important gathering place. Its large hall hosted political assemblies, cultural events and boxing matches. The famous Gaspesian singer, Mary Travers, also known as “La Bolduc”, for her popular personality, gave spectacular performances of her Quebecois “mouth music”, her funny songs and her popular tunes.
In 1962, the Municipal Administration decided to close the market building and to set up the Police’s Traffic Service. The citizens and the merchants were unhappy with this irreversible decision. However, the exterior passageways would stay in business until 1967, the year when they were finally destroyed, putting a definitive end to the market’s activities. Parking spaces would be constructed where the arches were.
In 1978, the group POMM (Pour ouvrir le marché Maisonneuve), a group in favor of opening the Maisonneuve market, presented a petition signed by 7000 citizens, from the Maisonneuve district demanding the reopening of the market. It was in 1980 that the city decided to reopen the area around the market to farmers. Umbrella-like canopies were put up and the interior of the market became home to a Cultural and Sporting Centre.
In November of 1994, the umbrella-like canopies were dismantled and a new market, which cost $2 million, was born beside the old Maisonneuve Market. This was the first mandate undertaken by the CGMPM, and its first success. Almost higher than the surrounding trees, the new market was designed to reinforce the existing character of the area, without being imposing. It was built to blend in with the buildings on Ontario Street and formed a façade overlooking the market’s gardens. A canopy, reminiscent of the one at the old market, covered the new market area on Ontario Street and a pedestrian lane connected the businesses to the garden.
This new market housed exterior stalls as well as 10 indoor food stores that were open year-round. In the center, a large covered market ran all the way across the building along the market’s fountain, which formed its axis. The new Maisonneuve Market officially opened its doors in May of 1995.