Free distribution of organic compost and discounts on certain organic dairy products;
Montreal, May 11, 2022 – The Montreal Public Markets, in partnership with Les Producteurs de lait du Québec (PLQ), invites you to the 2nd edition of the LAIT’vénement bio event, which will take place during the long weekend of the Fête des Patriotes on May 21, 22 and 23 at Jean-Talon Market. A unique opportunity to meet certified organic milk producers in Quebec, learn more about their products and, of course, taste them thanks to special promotions from our merchants.
Just like last year, nearly 4,000 bags of compost produced from manure from an organic dairy farm will be offered free of charge to gardening enthusiasts. Among the on-site activities, a quiz on organic milk will be offered to participants and will allow them to win a visit to an organic farm and a basket of organic products worth approximately $1,000.
The merchants of the Jean-Talon Market invite you to discover organic dairy products thanks to special offers, during the weekend:
- Marché des Saveurs du Québec will offer a 10% discount on selected organic dairy products.
- Qui lait cru!?! will offer 10 to 15% discount on selected organic dairy products.
- Première Moisson will offer an organic grand latte duo and an organic fruit and cream puff, as well as an organic cheddar focaccia, both for $5.
- Brûlerie Aux 4 Vents will offer its grilled cheese with organic Swiss cheese from here at a special price of $1.50, a large organic latte at $2.75 and an organic iced latte at a price of $4.
To obtain their organic certification, these producers must only use natural fertilizers for the pasture used to feed their cows. As cows eat organic, they produce milk, and therefore organic manure. Thanks to this cycle as well as rigorous standards, which take at least 3 years to put in place, organic milk producers contribute in a sustainable way to the health of soils and ecosystems.
Among the organic farms in Canada, 53% are in Quebec and represent 42% of the production in the country. Organic certification is obtained through 3 major processes:
- Organic farming: a sustainable cultivation method that relies on 100% natural fertilization;
- Organic farming: free range cows, grazing when the weather permits, and fed exclusively on certified organic food;
- Biological transformation: finally, the resulting transformed products do not contain any artificial flavors or colorings.
This event is part of a communication campaign by Producteurs de lait du Québec for their organic component, intended to better understand the process of organic dairy production. LAIT’vénement bio will tour 4 cities in Quebec during the summer period.
About Quebec Milk Producers
The Producteurs de lait du Québec, affiliated with the UPA, represent the 4,643 dairy farms that deliver some 3.46 billion liters of milk, the sale of which totals farm receipts of more than $2.86 billion.