Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and maple sugar together in a large bowl.
- Add the butter and mix by hand for a few minutes, ensuring that all the butter cubes are well incorporated into the dry mixture.
- Slowly pour in the whipping cream and the crème fraîche, and mix for about 30 seconds (add more cream if needed).
- Gently fold the bacon, spinach, cheddar and chives into the dough.
- Form the dough into a rectangle shape on a piece of plastic wrap and wrap the dough up in it.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours or for 30 minutes in the freezer.
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
- Cut the dough into triangles and place on a parchment paper-covered cookie sheet. Brush the scones with cream, sprinkle with cheddar and cook in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden.