Preparation time : Preparation time: 40 minutesTotal time : Cooking time: 3 hrs. 15 min.
A recipe by Louise Gagnon, author of Sous le charme des courges et des citrouilles (Éditions de l’Homme)
- Preheat the oven to 150°C (300°F).
- Coat the veal slices with flour. In a large Dutch oven, heat 3 tbsp. olive oil and sear the veal slices on both sides until browned. Salt and pepper. Remove from the Dutch oven and set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp. of oil in the Dutch oven and sauté the onion until tender, without letting them brown. Add the garlic and continue cooking for 30 seconds. Deglaze with the white wine and boil until the wine is reduced by about half. Add the tomatoes, veal stock, pumpkin, butternut squash, sage and orange zest. Salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; then remove from heat. Add the veal shanks and cover them with sauce. Cover the Dutch oven and cook for about 3 hours in the oven. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Meanwhile, mix all the gremolata ingredients in a bowl.
- Just before serving, remove the strings from the veal shanks and garnish with gremolata.
Side dish suggestions: tagliatelle noodles or polenta.