- Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the oil and the onions.
- Toss the onions to coat with the oil and butter and simmer them, covered, until soft.
- Remove cover and continue cooking until the onions start to caramelize.
- Stir in the thyme.
- Deglaze with beer and reduce the liquid by half.
- Add chicken stock, bring to a boil and cook about 20 min. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, slightly toast the slices of bread.
- Cover each slice of bread with cheese, season with the pepper (to taste) and broil until the cheese is melted.
- Ladle soup into bowls and place the bread and cheese slices on top of the soup in each bowl.
A recipe from our chef, Nicole Anne Gagnon.