- Score the skin of the magret in a diamond-shape pattern, then rub with the five-spice powder. Salt and pepper both sides of the magret.
- Lightly score the tops of the figs in a criss-cross shape.
- Melt a knob of butter in a pan and sauté the minced shallot at high heat. Lower the heat, add the sugar and let it dissolve, stirring regularly. Add the wine vinegar, whole clove and cinnamon stick. Reduce it by half, then add the poultry stock. Reduce again until the sauce is smooth and creamy.
- Cook the magret on the fatty side for 10 minutes in a pan at low heat. Remove the excess fat (reserve some of it to roast the figs afterward). Turn the magret and finish cooking it in the oven for 7 minutes at 350° F (180° C).
- Note: This will give you a pink duck breast.
- Roast the figs in a pan for 5 minutes at low heat in a knob of butter or a tablespoon of the reserved duck fat.
- Slice the magret and serve surrounded by the figs and drizzled with the sauce.
Recipe from the Boucherie Claude & Henri, Atwater Market.