- Heat the olive oil in a pot on medium to low heat.
- Add the eggplant, figs, bay leaf and chilli flakes. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon from time to time, until the eggplant is softened.
- Add the salt, vinegar and maple syrup. Increase the heat and bring the mixture to a boil.
- When it reaches boiling point, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the mixture is candied.
- Pour the mixture into a hot sterilized jar. Allow to cool, and keep in the fridge.
Serve with a cheese plate, or spread on a sandwich, such as a grilled cheese sandwich, etc.
A MPM recipe, developed with Christelle Tanielian.