- Clean and chop the rhubarb into approximately de 1 cm lengths.
- Wash, trim and cut the strawberries into quarters. Set aside in a bowl.
- Mix the water and the syrup together in a large pot. Bring to a boil and add the rhubarb and strawberries.
- Let simmer for 5 minutes, then add the lemon/lime zest and the herbs.
- Pour the mixture into a sieve over a bowl without pressing. Allow the juice to completely drain into the bowl. Add the lemon/lime juice. Serve in a large pitcher with ice.
- Garnish the glasses with sliced strawberries and a few basil or mint leaves.
Variation: make it into popsicles, granita or use it as the base for a summer cocktail!A recipe from d’Atelier Cuisiner en Famille, created by chief educator Mélissa Clément, for Montreal’s Public Markets.
Illustration by Laucolo.