With their delicious flavour, easy-to-handle skin, quick cooking time, Cornish game hens have everything to make your feast a success!
- Begin with the stuffing: finely mince the mushrooms.
- Sweat* the shallot in butter in a saucepan, then add the minced mushrooms.
- Cook until all the liquid released by the mushrooms has evaporated.
- Deglaze with cider, reduce until dry ** and season. Reserve until the mixture has been completely reduced.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F).
- Cut the hens in half and stuff them under the skin (lift the skin slightly and insert approximately 25 mL of stuffing for each).
- Place the hens in an ovenproof dish and roast approximately 30 minutes or until they reach an internal temperature of 73°C (165°F).
- Meanwhile, make the sauce: sweat the shallots in butter, add the wild mushrooms, sweat for 2 minutes more.
- Add the cider and reduce to three quarters.
- Add the brown stock, 35% cream and cook until the sauce coats the back of a spoon. Season to taste and serve with the Cornish game hens.
- * Sweat: cook in butter without browning.
- ** Reduce to dry: cook until there is no trace of liquid.
Serve with: Oven Roasted Root Vegetables.
A recipe from our chef, Nicole Anne Gagnon.