Québec Pork Osso Buco, with Caribou Sauce and Root Vegetables
All recipes |
Preparation time : 25 minTotal time : 2 hoursServes 6.
This Osso Buco recipe is suggested by Québec’s pork producers.
- 6 Québec pork shanks
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 4 parsnips, cut into 1 cm cubes
- 4 carrots, cut into 1 cm cubes
- 1 turnip, cut into 1 cm cubes
- ½ celeriac, cut into 1 cm cubes
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 50 g flour
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. lovage or celery leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt, pepper
- ½ cup Caribou
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 3 cups veal stock
- The leftover flour
- Preheat the oven to 300 F (150 C).
- Heat the oil on medium in a large pan.
- Salt and pepper the pork shanks on both sides and coat them in flour. Put the rest of the flour aside (to use later).
- Sauté the shanks on both sides until golden brown. Remove them from the frying pan and cover.
- Sauté the onions and garlic in the same pan. Add the other vegetables and cover for 5 minutes, stirring from time to time. Remove the vegetables.
- Deglaze with the Caribou and add the tomato sauce. Stir the flour left over from coating the shanks into the veal stock, then add the mixture to the tomato sauce. Bring to a boil.
- Put the pork shanks back in the pan, with the herbs and vegetables.
- Place in the oven for an hour and a half, stirring from time to time.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and garden vegetables.
A recipe from Québec Pork Producers.