- Heat the sesame oil in a pan at medium heat, and cook the salmon filet.
- When it is browned on both sides, add the rest of the ingredients: green onion, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, 5 spices and the Sambal Oelek.
- Continue cooking for 2 minutes, let cool, flake and set aside.
- Meanwhile, marinate the beets in the water and rice vinegar for 15 minutes. Drain.
- Mix the mayonnaise, Hoisin sauce and sesame oil in a bowl. Set aside.
- Slice the buns in half, spread the mayonnaise mixture and place the toppings on each of the sandwiches (salmon, julienned vegetables, soy seeds, coriander and sesame seeds)
Variations: Use different coloured beets (yellow or ciogga). Instead of submarine buns, use rice paper wraps to make spring rolls, or even slice them like sushi. You can also make a salad and even Vietnamese burgers with the ingredients.
A recipe from d’Atelier Cuisiner en Famille
, created by chief educator Mélissa Clément, for Montreal’s Public Markets. Illustration by Laucolo.