1 egg: separate the white from the yolk
- Rinse the fiddleheads, boil them for 10 min., drain. Sauté the minced garlic and fiddleheads in some butter in a frying pan. Add the slivered mushrooms and brown them for 10 to 15 min. Set aside.
- Steam the asparagus spears for 10 to 15 min. then purée them with a knob of butter. Salt, pepper and set aside.
- Cut the cheese into small cubes.
THREE MEAT STUFFING
- Boil the cubed potatoes until tender. Set aside.
- Cut all the meat into small cubes. Sauté the minced garlic in the olive oil. Add the meat. Brown for 10 min. Add the herbs, spices and diced onion.
- Add the potatoes and let the mixture cool completely.
- Place some of the stuffing in the centre of each empanada disc.
- Moisten the edges with some egg white, fold it over, and pinch the edges closed. Finish by crimping the edges with a fork.
- Brush with egg yolk.
- Place the empanadas on a baking sheet, either greased or covered with parchment paper, and bake for 15 to 20 min. at 350°F.
A recipe from Raul Fernandez Petters and Lucinda M. Cau.
Photo credit: Lucinda M.Cau