A recipe by Mélissa Clément, from Cuisiner en famille.
Chef’s tip: Serve with crème fraîche sprinkled with maple nuggets!
For 10 scones :
1. Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and maple sugar together in a large bowl.
2. Add the butter and mix by hand for a few minutes, ensuring that all the butter cubes are well incorporated into the dry mixture.
3. Slowly pour in the whipping cream and the crème fraîche, and mix for about 30 seconds (add more cream if needed).
4. Gently fold the bacon, spinach, cheddar and chives into the dough.
5. Form the dough into a rectangle shape on a piece of plastic wrap and wrap the dough up in it.
6. Refrigerate for 2 hours or for 30 minutes in the freezer.
7. Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
8. Cut the dough into triangles and place on a parchment paper-covered cookie sheet. Brush the scones with cream, sprinkle with cheddar and cook in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden.